Saturday, April 3, 2010

Kangaroo's

On Thursday we went for a picnic lunch to a local National Park to celebrate Flossy's friends 6th Birthday. We were the first to arrive and as we drove into the carpark I noticed two kangaroo's by the side of the road. We pulled into the carpark hoped out and were almost immediately confronted by the two kangaroo's.

Mother and joey by the side of the road.

They hoped from their position on the other side of the road right over to us and the mother stood up challenging me immediately!


Just before she stood up to challenge me waiving her sharp claws.

I put the kids back in the car and we watched from their until some other people arrived (kangaroo's can be quite dangerous). Whilst sitting in the car I was pondering why she would have had a problem with us. Then it occurred to me. These kangaroo's are not truly wild. They were wanting food and when I didn't immediately have something for them she stood up challenging me to find out why. Tourists to the park are not supposed to feed the wildlife, there are signs up, but it doesn't matter they still do. As a direct result these kangaroo's now come to expect it!

Whilst we were having our wonderful lunch we had to continually keep guard on the food. At one point a brazen roo approached the table and tried to pinch an entire bag of breadrolls. I managed to grab the other side of the bag just in time although he did tear the plastic.

The kids had a wonderful time playing in the park and getting wet at the waterfall. It was a fantastic birthday party!

Waiting for everyone to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...